Borrowers who are behind on their mortgage payments or owe more on their mortgage than their home is worth can now take advantage of the Home Affordable Refinance Program (HARP). HARP was developed by the federal government to help you obtain a more affordable and stable mortgage and help you avoid foreclosure. Even if you have little or no equity in your home, HARP may be the solution for you.
HARP has recently been extended for two additional years and will end on December 31, 2015.
BenefitsHARP can help you:
- Lower your interest rate
- Lower your monthly payments
- Get a fixed-rate mortgage that won’t change over time
- Save money on appraisals
To be eligible for HARP, your mortgage must have been acquired by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac on or before 5/31/2009, and you must have a loan-to-value (LTV) greater than 80%. Other HARP requirements are:
- You must have a good payment history for the past 12 months (i.e. no late payments in the last 6 months and only one 30-day late payment within the last year)
- Your home must be your primary residence, 2nd home or investment property.
- Your home value must have decreased.You have limited equity or your first mortgage exceeds the current market value of the home (i.e., your loan-to-value ratio must be > 80% to be eligible).
If you're not sure whether you qualify, call our Mortgage Experts for a free consultation.